Why in business do some people succeed, but many fail. Business survival is about doing what it takes! Despite the many leadership definitions, this article lists five simple things to consider.
What is leadership? What does it look like? How is it measured? The term ‘Leadership’ has been about for years and people say ‘Mr Smith shows real leadership qualities!’ But why do people say this? What does leadership really look like?
There are lots of books on leadership, yet there are so few leaders. A definition of leadership is:
‘leadership has the power to rewrite the future of a group or organisation. The results of such efforts is remarkable success with the right focus. Leaders act as catalysts as people around a leader has a sense of feeling they did the work themselves’.
Becoming a leader is no small task. Apparently, the experts are now disputing what leadership really is.
A single definition is missing. However, we do class some people as leaders. What is this based on? We use words to describe leaders like persistent, committed, integrity etc.
In any business, whether in a large corporate business, a small brick and mortar business or need help starting a small business, staying the course can be very difficult. To survive, in business you must become a leader. Despite there being no single agreement what leadership is, here is a list of leadership qualities – 5 things that make up a leader.
- Daily visualisation and meditation of your goals. This can be seen as your quiet time. To address your why – your vision. The very reason why you are doing what you are doing. The sense of purpose. Your drive and determination.
- Income producing activities. Are you moving forward in your business – planting the seeds! Every day counts. You need to stay focused and accomplish results by staying committed.
- Personal development. Are you investing in yourself to help you move forward in your business? This may be a case that if you want something you never had then you need to do something you have never done. Never stop being teachable as you will need to grow and develop.
- Mastermind with other leaders. Surround yourself with people you aspire to. They say that your success can be based on your 10 closest friends. Follow and educate yourself on leadership knowledge – reads books. Connect with what leaders do and follow their lead.
- Cultivating expectation of leadership. You need to be playing from the top. It is not about if I had this or if I had that then everything will work. It does not work this way. You have to do what it takes. You need to find a way and not make or find excuses. Are you really committed!
A leader has a goal, is inspired to do what it takes and is hungry for results. Leaders put in the work, don’t put off until tomorrow what could be done today – making every day count. Excuses do not exist e.g. I don’t have the time, I don’t have the money etc.
So how do you become a leader and do what it takes to meet your goal?
‘If you want to change your life, then you need to change what you do on a daily basis’
Begin with the end in mind. Don’t fight for the victory, fight from the victory.
Take action today!
A leader is strong in three areas:
- Strength of self mastering
- Strength of action
- Strength of relationship
Remember you are accountable for your actions. You really need to do what it takes. Provided you put in the work and effort then there should be no reason why you should not be successful in your business. Mastering leadership is one of the key steps to starting a small business.
My name is Gary Oakes and I’m involved in building a business at home whilst working a 60 hour week. People ask how I find the time to build a business in my spare time. It comes down to leadership. If you wish to review more of my articles about starting a business at home and more about me then visit FreelyProsperous.
It does not cost you anything to take a look, and you never know there might be some relevant information to help you. I would be glad of any feedback and will answer questions with integrity and honesty.